- Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat’s Essential Systems, by Nigel Calder
- Powerboat Handling Illustrated, How to make your boat do exactly what you want it to do, by Bob Sweet
- Sailing A beginner’s guide, by David Seidman
- The Complete Anchoring Handbook: stay put on any bottom in any water, by Alain Poiraud, Achim Ginsberg-Klemmt, and Erika Ginsberg-Klemmt with a contribution by Alain Fraysse
- Marine Diesel Engines, by Nigel Calder
- Diesel Engine Handbook, by Andrew Simpson
NEW ZEALAND GUIDES
- Anchorages in the Hauraki Gulf, by Paul Radley
- The Fishing Diving Cruising Guide to The Bay of Islands, by Steve Radich
- New Zealand’s Hauraki Gulf, by David Thatcher
- William Owen’s Hauraki Gulf A Fishing and Cruising Guide, 4th Edition
- The Royal Akarana Yacht Club Coastal Cruising Guide, 11th Edition (Cape Reinga to Cape Kidnappers)
- The Weather Identification Handbook, by Storm Dunlop
- Guide to Weather Forecasting, by Storm Dunlop
- Sailing in paradise : yacht charters around the world, by Rod Heikell
- Nigel Calder’s cruising handbook : a compendium for coastal and offshore sailors by Nigel Calder
- How to Read a Nautical Chart (includes all of Chart no 1), by Nigel Calder
- Sea Survival Handbook, by Keith Colwell
- Voyaging Under Power, by Robert P. Beebe & Denis Umstot
- Elbert Maloney, “Dutton’s Navigation and Piloting”- a classic, professional reference, continuously updated.
- Nathaniel Bowditch, “The American Practical Navigator”- A classic, professional reference, continuously updated.
- U.S. Naval Institute, “The Bluejackets’ Manual”- the navy way; the authority on Morse, flags, courtesies, fire-fighting at sea, jury-rigging, ship handling and basic sea law.
- Lawrence and Lin Pardey, Storm Tactics
- Linda & Steve Dashew, “Offshore Cruisers’ Encyclopedia”- expensive but so useful it has been compared to Bowditch and Dutton. Easy to read.
- Eric Hiscock, “Cruising Under Sail”- just the facts, a classic.
- Lawrence and Lin Pardey, “The Self-Sufficient Sailor”- The Pardey’s message is wonderfully encouraging: Go simply, go cheaply and in a small boat, but go.
- Lawrence & Lin Pardey, “Cost Conscious Cruiser”- more hints and tricks
- Michael Carr, “Weather Prediction Simplified”
- Steve and Linda Dashew, “Mariner’s Weather Handbook”
- Mary Blewitt, “Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen”- just the facts.
- Merle Turner, “Celestial Navigation for the Cruising Navigator”- some theory.
- William F. Buckley Jr., “Atlantic High”- an amazingly well-written account of an Atlantic passage. Not a shred of politics.
- William F. Buckley Jr., “Racing Through Paradise”- etc. about a Pacific passage.
- Cruising in Seraffyn (25th Anniversary Edition), by Larry and Lin Pardey
- Seraffyn’s European Adventure, by Larry and Lin Pardey
- Seraffyn’s Mediterranean Adventure, 30th Anniversary Edition, by Larry and Lin Pardey
- Dove, by Robin L. Graham and Derek L. T. Gill
- Across Islands and Oceans, A journey alone around the world by sail and on foot, by James Baldwin
- Two Years Before the Mast, a Personal Narrative of Life at Sea, by Richard Henry Dana, Jr
- Sea Fever, by Angela Meyer
- Four Fish, the future of the last wild food, by Paul Greenberg
- Weather Permitting, by Heather Heberley
- Flood Tide, by Heather Heberley (sequel to Weather Permitting)
- Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time, by Dava Sobel
- Hornblower series, The Happy Return and 10 more by C. S. Forrester
- Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
- Alone Across the Pacific (1963) True story of Kenichi Horie
- The Dove (1974) True story of Robin L. Graham
- Amistad (1997) about a 1839 revolt aboard a Spanish slave schooner
- Deep Water (2006) is the true story of the first solo, non-stop, round-the-world boat race
- The Reef (2010) is based on the true story of Ray Boundy, who was the sole survivor of similar incident in 1983
- Lifeboat (1944) Alfred Hitchcock
- The Lady From Shanghai (1948)
- The Crimson Pirate (1952)
- Moby Dick (1956)
- Knife in the Water (1962)
- Mutiny on the Bounty (1963)
- Jaws (1975)
- Lucky Lady (1975)
- Yellowbeard (1983)
- Horatio Hornblower: The Duel (1988)
- Dead Calm (1989)
- Message in a Bottle (1999)
- Longitude (2000) TV miniseries
- Hornblower (TV Series) (1998-2003)
- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- All Is Lost (2013) Robert Redford